Focus area: Food
Growing a better future. (Learn more about Kanu's work in this area.)
See All Stories »
- Where can you buy local beef on Oahu?
- Where can you buy red worms for a worm bin on Oahu?
- HI! I was wondering what is Kanu's stand on water use, specifically regarding the selling of Hawaii's limited fresh water sources to private companies who are making money off of Hawaii's water. I realize that sentence sounds a bit confrontational, and I don't mean it to be so. But in our house and our apartment complex we have been trying to conserve water, after all we know that fresh water is a finite resource that takes millions of years to replenish. However, I have friends who are so enthusiastic to "buy local" that they happily support the local water companies such as Menehune who sell local water back to local people, while using a resource that should be saved for future generations. I understand they are allowed to do this, but in looking at the long term positives and negatives of this, if water is indeed a valuable resource why are we allowing/encouraging companies to have access to further deplete this resource? Alas, it is a slippery slope because juice companies do the same, with flavoring. But it does seem there is something wrong with this equation. Perhaps the question should be, if companies can use/sell water, will the compensation they provide be adequate to compensate the next generation when they run dry?Hmm. I don't know the answer to this. Mahalo,Jo
- I like to know how much does a Tower Garden cost?
- What food odds and ends can you replant to grow more food without buying more?
See All Q&A »