Join us Sat, Jan 31, 2:00-4:00pm for Grow Local in Small Spaces (GLISS) Urban Gardening Demo Day.
FREE and open to the public!
This entry was inspired by Joannie's (@trulyjoannies) commitment on the Kanu Hawaii Web site.
Kanu Hawaii completed it's Simplify the Holidays campaign ("Simplify the Holidays with Kanu Hawaii and the Kokua Hawaii Foundation") and I think it's more than worth it to continue this effort by carrying it on to Valentine's Day.
Joannie's commitment reads:
"I will simplify my Valentine's Day by cutting out needless consumption and waste. I will use this day to express my love and appreciation for the special person in my life (and family, friends) by giving my presence, hugs and kisses!"
I wanted to expand on this idea, so here's a list of suggestions for you to make your Valentine's Day a little simpler, but just as fun and meaningful.
- Buy organic flowers. You could even skip the flowers and plant a tree.
- Cook dinner at home with local produce instead of eating out. You'll definitely save money and there's nothing like a home-cooked meal.
- Get creative by making your own cards. Much like with a home-cooked meal, there's something special about a homemade card. Bust out some scratch paper, a pair of scissors and glue and have fun!
- Support local businesses. If you do plan on buying a gift or eating out, consider hitting up a local favorite or buying eco-friendly items.
- Show how much you care by spending meaningful time together. Whether it's with family, friends or your significant other, quality time together is great. Remember how precious life is and to enjoy every moment of it!
- Share your time with others. Volunteer your time to help those in need and you'll definitely be "paying it forward."
- Make a donation. Instead of buying gifts or dinner, use that money to make a donation to a worthy cause. You can even make it in the name of your special someone.
Please share your ideas here. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!