Community Heroes Awards 2021
This year during #volunteerweekhawaii we’re putting a focus back on recognition with the AIEA/PEARL CITY COMMUNITY HEROES AWARD
You can either use the form at the end of the page or submit your nomination byCompleting this PDF application form
Let’s celebrate our heroes who make a difference in our community! Through their volunteer work these unsung heroes have made Hawai’i a better, more livable and sustainable place. Despite their hectic work and family schedules, they continue to give of themselves, expending time, money and commitment beyond the call of duty. These outstanding volunteers are truly what makes our beloved Aiea and Pearl City communities a great place to work, live and play.
Nominate someone you know who embodies the community core values and let’s celebrate their contributions!
Deadline for nominations is Friday, April 9, 2021 and the winners will be announced and will be celebrated during Volunteer Week Hawaii on April 18-24, 2021. This project is jointly sponsored by the Office of Senator Bennette Misalucha (Hawaii Senate District 16) and Kanu Hawaii, a grassroots organization that seeks to provide tools and opportunities for people to connect with one another—to take action that builds more compassionate and resilient communities across Hawaii.
1. All residents of Aiea and Pearl City (home zip code must be either 96701 or 96782) are eligible to be nominated
2. To be considered, the nominee should have participated in the organization/activity for at least six months prior to January 1, 2021
3. The volunteer service should have taken place within the State, preferably but not limited to the areas of Aiea and Pearl City
5. Self-nominations will be considered
6. The nominee’s consent/signature is required. For those submitting PDF entries, please have the nominee email their acceptance to: email@example.com.
Kanu Hawaii will responsible for making the selection and will engage a panel of third party community leaders to serve as judges
7. All nominees and winners’ names will be kept strictly confidential prior to the award selection
8. The decision of the Selection Committee will be final.
We realize volunteerism may be difficult to quantify or validate. Who can say which is most impactful: the one year of intense activity or the 10 years of continuous stable interaction? So we would like to be as broad as possible in our criteria since the awards program is on its first year. The Selection Committee will be considering several factors in their decision, amongst them:
– the effectiveness (results of the contribution to the community)
– the scope of the volunteer efforts
– the amount and length of time involved
– the comprehensiveness and diversity of the volunteer’s community involvement
– the depth in which the contribution exceeds expectations
– how these contributions are linked to our community core values
Here are a sampling of volunteer contributions that may be recognized:
– Education (volunteering at Parent Teacher Association, or school campus; Read America)
– Environment (being part of beach clean-up, or environmental groups)
– Housing/ Construction (Habilitat for Humanity, trade associations)
– Sports/Recreation (coaching youth athletic programs)
– Children/Youth (Adult Friends for Youth, etc)
– Health (American cancer society, Red Cross)
– Elderly (Meals on Wheels, etc)
There will be two awards that will be presented: one for a Pearl City resident and another for an Aiea resident.
Each Community Hero awardee will be presented with $500 which will be donated in their name to the organization of their choice. All nominations must be submitted to Kanu Hawaii by 5 pm on Friday, April 9, 2020. The award recipients will be notified by email or by phone call by Senator Misalucha on or before Friday, April 16, 2021.
A virtual award ceremony is being planned. Details to follow.
For further information: please call (808) 586-6230 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Community HeroesVolunteer Recognition Awards
Volunteer with aloha, it’s our kuleana