So many in the community are struggling now with overwhelm, confusion, and fear. For most, this is likely an addition to a radically new living situation due to shelter-in-place requests from our local and national leaders.
There are lots of things to consider, and lots of people offering good advice about how to remain grounded in these times. To help balance some of the negative feelings that impact most of us, we can also give ourselves a break and try to find joy to bring balance to our days, especially if we are living with children. Humor is a positive emotion that can help us tap back into feelings of positivity and connection.
Our team has gathered some delightful resources for people of all ages to bring some levity to your day! Do you have other suggestions? Please share with us by tagging us on Facebook or Instagram or using the hashtag #respondwithaloha
Enjoy Adorable Animals
There are few things cuter than baby animals, and the following links will help you find joy in the warm and fuzzy.
- Baby animals – https://youtu.be/YDLErVsbSRI
- Baby Goats in Pajamas
- Monika & Azuki: Cute Hedgehogs of Instagram
- Goats of Anarchy: Sanctuary that Takes in Disabled Goats & Other animals
- Alpacas of Instagram: Fluff overload
- Otter Cams from Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Webcams from Georgia Aquarium
- Penguins wandering the Aquarium
Free Games to Play Solo & Together
Stay entertained and social with many of these online games, mostly free (or low-cost).
- 6000+ DOS/Windows Games to play for FREE
- Best Video Games for Self-Isolation
- Apple Arcade: more that 100 games for Apple devices ($5 per month, 1 month free trial)
- Google Play Pass: 350 streaming games for Google and Android devices. ($5/month, 10 days free trial)
- 27 Free Online Games from GOG
- Hawaiian Tech Games for Keiki from Purple Maiʻa
Free Music & Concerts
Concerts and festivals have been canceled around the world, but lots of artists are offering free mini-concerts. Other organizations like the Metropolitan opera and Symphonies are offering free streaming too.
- Free Concerts from musicians
- Watch Broadway Musicals for Free
- The Met is streaming for Free
- Yo-Yo Ma playing Dvořák – “Going Home”
- Seattle Symphony streaming for free
- Music Resources for Distance Learning
- Virtual Concert by students: “Over the Rainbow”
In these days of anxiety, I wanted to find a way to continue to share some of the music that gives me comfort. The first of my #SongsOfComfort: Dvořák – "Going Home”
Stay safe. pic.twitter.com/S28w6OlXiZ
— Yo-Yo Ma (@YoYo_Ma) March 13, 2020
Art & Entertainment Activities
Art and activities to keep us seeking and creating beautiful things.
- Famous Museums: Tour from Home
- Adult coloring pages – https://www.justcolor.net/our-galleries/
- Fun Shows & Movies people are feeling good about
- Imagine Song by Celebs
- Kauaʻi Forest Bird Symphony Educational Tools
Totally Silly Things that make you LOL
Sometimes you just need to giggle at the seriousness of the situation.